View Single Post
Old 10-25-17, 03:22 AM   #1
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0
Default Modded Mk16 and Mk37 for '68 campaign

For the heck of it, I experimented tweaking around with the weapons.txt file that control how the torps work. I was curious if any changes I made would affect how the Mk16 and Mk37 perform. We all know the issues with these two beasts. The 16 is dumb as a stump, and the 37 is slow as a dog. So I tried some things and they seemed to work. The Mk16 is now wire guided, has a passive seeker only, no active, and can run a snake pattern. I tried to resist turning this thing into a super-weapon, so that why I left it as passive only....basically a wake-homing torp, with a fairly weak seeker range. It's only about 400/450 yds. and is not very agile. Also, it does not have a good range...only about 13000yds or so. I need to test the passive seeker and see if that works. The wire guide works....I was able to steer the torps after a ship and got hits, but its not very realistic that way. I could use the 3D view and steer the torps on target every time. That's why I wanted to make it passive homing on its own, weak or not and if it loses the lock and can't turn hard enough to reaquire, then its loses the race. We'll see tomorrow.

The Mk37 now at least has a chance to get in the race and actually catch a target. I bumped up the attack speed to about 34kts. It still is a swim out torp at about 20/24kts so be careful you're not going too fast when you launch it. It'll still run slow to target before it enables, but when it does it kicks in the NOS and runs a bit faster. There are still a few ships and subs that can out run it, but at least now its a foot race. Range is a bit less to balance for the extra speed and fuel used.

This was just a spur of the moment attempt at some minor tweaks. I did it mostly for fun and to see if I could, and I'm sick of how those torps perform. If everything seems to work and you guys want the file, maybe I'll upload it. I dunno, this really ain't my thing, but if you just wanna try it, lemme know.

"CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote