View Single Post
Old 09-27-17, 03:17 PM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303
Uploads: 0

It's been a while since I played SH(3). But when I found a hydrophone contact I would take 3 bearings while stationary. Use my (prototype 3-bearing AOB calculator disc) to figure out the AOB and target course. Start sprinting away from my listening location. Direction depends on AOB at bearing 3; either along target course when AOB3 is past 90 degrees, or go perpendicular to bearing 3 when less than 90 degrees). In the mean time I use the plot to predict where a 4th (imaginary) bearing line would fall from the listening location. When the time interval is about to end I submerge to take a hydrophone check at a new location. Then the 4th bearing from my current location should intersect with the predicted 4th bearing nicely to locate the actual position of the target.

And I am patient! Bearing difference between 1st and 2nd bearing should be more than 5 degrees. If the bearings drift slow I record the time for each bearing 2 at 5, 6, 7, 8, degrees and so on. Then measure the 3rd bearing for each of those intervals until I judge when the AOB resolution is narrowed down sufficiently to within +/-5 degrees. And then it is as good as a target course given by a radio report.

I haven't mastered 'the 4-bearing method while moving' of Kuikeg (in SH4 or SH5 forum section) in practice. It's on my to-do list when I start playing the game again.

Last edited by Pisces; 09-27-17 at 03:44 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote