Old 08-14-17, 03:14 PM   #4
Jonatron5
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
A side note for the UZO ...

You can tell distance on the night surface attack run in a simple visual manner.

If viewing a ship from the 90 degree AOB if it is a 78 meter long ship and it fills the width of the UZO, it is about 780 meters away.

Similar: if a 140 meter long ship fills the width of the UZO it is probably around 1400 meters away.

So on many a night attack... where I want some distance between me and the target by the time they start shooting off star-shells. ....

I will fire around the time a 140 meter long ship fills half the width of the UZO or about 2800 meters away... and... use 30 knot speed torpedo settings so I have some good distance between me and them by the time the torpedoes hit.

Also at night, I will often launch torpedoes when the target presents a 90 degree angle on the bow to me. Slowing down or speeding up as needed to maintain the target presenting a 90 degree AOB. The reason is that at night, this AOB is sometimes all I can visually feel comfortable with. Where I may have difficulty determining a 75, 80, 85 AOB.

I punch in that final AOB and fire.

And of course this is for the times I am having difficulty determining their true course or otherwise I would use off-sets with no gyro input to the torpedo.

Ok I have been doing alot off practicing, and I have come to the conclusion that my problems with torpedo targeting are 100% a result of poor range finding.

I know this because its too simple to screw up bearing to Target, and if you have an improper range, you get the speed wrong, and you get the lead to Target wrong.

I have ALOT of problems accurately judging range with the attack Periscope., Those lines are very difficult to arrange especially in rough waters and when the master of the ship don't render well at distance.

The sonar seems to be returning bad readings , with a +- 200 meter reading on back to back readings.

I have had moderate success surfacing and using the watch officer to identify it for me, and that seems fairly accurate, but when I chart what he tells me, I get some very strange results on the map, as to the targets course and speed. And even a slight variation will mess up the course down the road and cause a miss.

Any suggestions for accurate range finding?

Just a thought, it could also be my charting, because the compass only measures in 100's of meters, so you really can't accurately plot ranges short of that.
Jonatron5 is offline   Reply With Quote