Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
have found the problem.
My four favorite words!

Jolly good show!

Thanks again to all of you for developing this mega-mod.

Well over one year ago now, I was in a computing malaise, a doldrums, bored, and wondering how/where I could find something fun on my severely limited budget. I then remembered, many years ago, really enjoying playing Silent Service. I thought to myself that something really good, and affordable, surely must have come along in the decades since. I searched online, read the opinions in articles, found these forums, and purchased for download first SH3 ($9.95), and then SH4 ($19.95). SH4 because I wanted to play a US boat. Let me tell you that is the best 20 bucks that I ever spent on a software package! I say that because of the modding community! You people add tremendous value to that initial purchase. I really appreciate it.

As far as playing FOTRSU I only make two small changes to your work due to personal preference. I drop in TMO menu music because I like the way it seems to portray a building tension, and I modify your time compression limitations back to the full 8196 ceiling that was previously available. The game is 10 years old and so is my computer. But ten years ago this computer was a true beast of the gaming world and it seems to handle 8196 pretty well. Where the situation seems to call for it, then I like to get across the ocean quickly if possible.

For the benefit of those reading, and may be having problems with running the game, I feel that I would be remiss if I failed to mention a few things. First read what is posted in these forms. Programs and utilities. JSGME, Large Address Aware, Multi SH4. The practice of installing in a separate directory, even a separate drive (if available). The keeping of a fresh, un-played, and virgin, installation of SH4. Also telling your Anti-Virus to treat your SH4 executable and game file locations (including your SH4 files that are located in your documents folder) in a hands off manner. These are all essential IMHO.

Additionally I feel that I need to point out that, due to previous forays into flight simulation, I run an extremely stripped down, bare bones, configuration of MS Windows 7 64 bit Professional. I have followed the procedure outlined in the "Nick N Bible" for windows. Just google it and you can find a very detailed procedure to streamline windows. I have also stripped out Windows telemetry. Just search "Tweakhound". As I type this forum posting, my task manager shows that my machine is running a total of 36 processes. If I close the browser it should drop back to something like 33.

You may look at my above comments about my budget, and then later about the computer. You may wonder how the two can be reconciled? Let me tell you that I got lucky. I purchased the mobo as an open box return from Frys Electronics in 2010 (I think?) for less than $15.00 US. Everything else I got used and on the cheap, ebay, etc. The only parts bought new were the case, PSU, and graphics cards.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. And thanks again for all you guys do.

Immelmann

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote