View Single Post
Old 08-02-17, 04:03 PM   #37
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destex View Post
That's for sure. In the context of Cold Waters gameplay, do you think that tracking ESM contacts should contribute to TMA solutions?

Personally, I would rather have ESM tracks to provide classification (ignoring that in real life different platforms might use the same radars for the sake of simplicity), and active intercept tracks to create targets that can be TMAed (slowly, unless tracked by a passive Sonar array).
Well I'd suggest the same way it was done in SC / Dangerous Waters (don't really mean the classification part but that would be nice).

What I'm talking about is, when you get either an active intercept return or an ESM contact with a lot of uncertainty a contact is placed on the map at an arbitrary position (say 10 miles out?) with a NIL listed range (in other words when you click on it, instead of saying 5.5k yards, it has a NIL/Unknown value for range, letting you know the range is not known and its not necessarily where its marked on the map, other than along that approximate bearing, so you get some visualization as to the number of contacts you have out there).

My (admittedly limited) understanding of both ESM (with the obvious exception of its reconnaissance / information gathering value) and Active Intercept is that both of these exist as warning systems first and foremost (something is pinging / radiating somewhere off to the NE of us) than they are a means for classifying (obviously they can do this and probably pretty well) or even localizing a contact.