View Single Post
Old 08-02-17, 11:38 AM   #457
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
I've discovered a very nice webpage which gives positions and infos about French lighthouses : http://www.pharesdefrance.fr/index.p...tes-des-phares

During all the morning, I've searched for the most important (size or position) ones, with real coordinates converted to SH3. Here is the result :

I've also added Bishop Rock.
Nice website and good work

I had started doing something similar in Google Earth, with lighthouse names and positions shown on map and clickable icons linked to individual pages with pictures, informations and relevant links for each lighthouse.
I had planned to add all the French lighthouses; it is not finished yet, but if you want I can send the file your way

Quote:
If you really want to make the beacon destroyable, so I think one crackline is enough, but I would place it higher
I like your layout, but it is a bit too late now. I have already finished modelling the damaged tower according to the picture I had posted the day before yesterday; I am ready applying to it any slight modification you might suggest, but I am afraid that completely redoing it would be too much work. Nothing is lost though: I will use your drawing for any similar full-concrete lighthouse we might need in game in the near future.

Quote:
The red part is the land unit, and the grey part is the terrain object. Thus, when the unit is destroyed, it collapses, and it remains only the terrain object which is no more attacked.
I think I get your point: making enemy AI units to attack the lighthouse, but without raging against it, when the beacon is damaged beyond repair. Isn't it?
The approach you are suggesting is valid, but I have painted some nice damage decals and I would like them to show up on the whole lighthouse model, when it is hit by a shell or by a bomb. Just a little cosmetic feature, but, if possible, I wouldn't like giving it up.

The way I have currently set the lighthouse, the base plus the lower portion of the tower are the main model, and the tower top is stored in a separate model, linked to a child node of the main unit node. The two parts have separate damage boxes. If the top tower is destroyed, it will be removed from the game together with the equipments (platform, lantern, etc) linked to it. On this evenience, the space left at the top of the lower tower portion will be filled, by means of the ObjectRemains controller, with the concrete debris + iron bars model shown in the picture above. If need be, the debris mesh can be made part of the main model, but I think it would be a waste of memory, as normally we wouldn't see it.

If we wanted the AI to stop attacking our lighthouse as soon, or shortly after, the top model is destroyed, we should link tower top's damage box to a zone whose hit points are ca. equal to the hit points of the whole unit (as set in its .zon file/CollisionableObject controller). The problem is that if the unit is destroyed, it is possible that also the main model will be removed. If that was true, it would render the splitting of the unit in two parts totally pointless, as with the settings I am suggesting they both would be removed at once. The model of a destroyed unit having to be removed from game, is not so obvious though: when the hp's of a ship are totally depleted, her lifeless wreck stays in game for a while until it sinks down, and in the meanwhile enemies stop attacking it.
Maybe we should use a different zone for the main unit, similar to the one assigned to the top, but with 'Destructible' parameter set to 'No'.

What do you think? Should we try?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote