View Single Post
Old 08-01-17, 08:10 AM   #454
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Gap, yes it's nice, but let's not loose time on modelling destroyed models. I really would like that we go forward with new lighthouses. There is also the sea bed depth to rework. The only important thing is that the light can be destroyed. I am thinking this : in order that the AI considers the beacon destroyed when the light is destroyed, the main tower should be transfered in the terrain locations folder. The platform would be the real land unit, and once destroyed, the AI doesn't attack the tower anymore. We can do this, since I've discovered the perfect relation between coordinates in meters and in degrees.
Well, to be honest Kendras, in my plans AI units shouldn't attack at all our lighthouses, except for the ones located near strategic ports. Can you imagine the RAF continuosly patrolling the Gulf of Biscay in search of French lighthouses to ravage, instead of attacking German u-boats and naval traffic lol? A total waste of ammo, and probably an unbalancing factor in game.

Besides that, unlike SH5, SHIII doesn't remove destroyed units from the rosters they belong to, so we would often see our beacons destroyed under our eyes, only to see them unharmed as if nothing had happened during the next patrol.

That said, I have decided to make our lighthouses destroyable and to visually display damage occurred partly for fun (in case we want to use them as unconventional targets for our gunnery drills) and partly for realism, in the rare evenience that they are caught in the cross-fire of a battle involving air, surface and submarine units, in which case it would be nice if they accidentally took some collateral damage.

I am sure that you will agree with me that the above reasons are not enough for wasting our limited time on simlulating a complex damage model. I only started yesterday night to split our model in a few destroyable parts, and the simple modifications I had in mind are pretty much done. If you see that I delay the beta release for more than 1, max 2 days from now, it will mean that experiments with my sound-triggred-by-waves idea are taking longer than expected.

In the meanwhile I hope that your realism tweaks on the light effect will be ready and that you will have made some progress with our wave foam idea. Time spent on those items will be well spent, as they well be used on many models
gap is offline   Reply With Quote