View Single Post
Old 07-26-17, 09:32 PM   #27
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead Nuke View Post
FYI. I was a nuke who actually QUALIFIED as a sonar operator.
A rare breed indeed. In 20 years of submarining, I can count the number of nuke-qualified SONAR operators I've worked with on no hands. Yes. That few. In which case, respect.... and mind your stack, Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytom View Post
Probably the most important thing here. As with anything that exists for entertainment, you can take the fun factor out of it by making it too much like a job. Probably don't need to go as far as "Game Over: You have failed to qualify on virtual submarines."

Another consideration - a simple boat_noise = 132 in a configuration file is a lot more accessible from the standpoint of tuning things in a relative sense for gameplay, and also in keeping a mod community alive and well with future growth.

From an implementation standpoint I'd think it would be fairly trivial to have a table lookup for noise level versus speed. I would think though that there's got to only be a very limited number of people floating around here that could even subjectively describe what that curve should look like for any number of boats.

If it were me, and my experience from developing professional simulation software, my MO would be to ask - what all do we really need to capture as far as characteristics across a broad range (of diesel/electric and nuclear submarines in this case), and what's the absolute most simple way to implement it.
The way it's implemented here isn't bad, it's just very much overly pessimistic.

For Silent Running aka Ultra-Quiet, you have to understand that it's a machinery line up condition, and therefore, less the plant operations, speed independent. So yes - should definitely be unshackled from the 5 knot restriction. There will be a point where it's pointless to set ultra-quiet if you're going to go so fast (likely Standard Bell, for the purposes of this game), but even so there is no direct correlation between speed and ultra-quiet.

As for the speed-noise curve... it needs to be loosened up a bit. It's not as bad as I had originally thought, but after playing around a bit more, I can usually pull 10 knots and still be fine on most approaches.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote