View Single Post
Old 07-19-17, 06:23 AM   #283
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Yes, exactly the same size. Conclusion : size of icons is 'absolute'.
mmm... it can't be that. Have you really tested the tga file that I have put in the 'spare icon' folder?

What I have understood is that the game scales the tga overlay, no matter what is its pixel resolution, to fit the same space on map. That means that if a standard sized (1024 x 1024) texture is scaled down, let's say to 256 x 256 pixels, the result in game won't be an icon four times smaller than the unscaled version, but one having the same size than the original, but four times lesser smooth. This is exactly what is happening with the tga file I have placed in the Locations folder of the last alpha, and with the one you yoursels have scaled to 20% of the original size, both of which you have tested yestarday.

The correct way to make the icon smaller, is scaling not the whole tga file, but only the visible pixels within it. In other words, If we want the tower symbol to be four times smaller and as smooth as the original, we should select the area within the tga file with non-trasparent pixels, and scale it down to 25%, repeating the process for both RGB and alpha channel. This is exactly the approach I followed for creating the tga file in the 'spare icon' folder, and that's why it is important that you make sure you have tested it.
There is more: due to the size reduction, some icons and/or the text, might require their resolution to be increased in order to still look good. How to do it? If, folllowing the previous examples, we want the same icon to be four times smaller and four times smoother, we don't have to scale the tower symbol within the original tga file: all we need to do, is adding black/transparent pixels to it, so to modify its size from 1024 square pixels to
4096 x 4096. One might fear that by doing that the file size would increase exponentially but that's not really the case: with the compression method used for saving those files, black/transparent pixels get compressed, so the final file size will be bigger, but not so much bigger.

Quote:
No collision, no foam
Yesterday night I have been looking into the issue. Everything is apparently in order, but I will keep inspecting the files this afternnon.

Quote:
no sound.

I will try to add sound.
Quote:
New sound added to the land unit, perfect in game.

Sound from this video :

Yep, I had listened the same sound when I was looking for sound loops which might apply to our model, but I discardes it, because it is the sound of crashing waves, not realistic during fair weather. At the end I opted for the wave lapping sound already featured in SHIII with GWX (but I believe it is in stock game too): it would be audible during calm days, and it would be covered by the ambience sound of heavy waves when the weather is stormy. What do you think?

Whatever is your decision, can you please send me your tweaked and/or added files when you are satisfied with them, so I can keep working on up-to-date files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
I'm afraid I did not have time last night to do any more testing etc. For the next couple of days I will not be available for anything, and thereafter, for a couple of weeks I will only have access if/when WiFi is available - possibly won't be able to test much though. Sorry about the short notice. But I will watch the thread and respond when I can if needed.
No problem MLF. Your help and suggestions are always appreciated, but take your time on them. Whatever you got planned for the next two weeks, I wish you to have a nice time!
gap is offline   Reply With Quote