Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 07-18-17, 03:10 PM   #5018
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Great Double RR, good to keep current!

Speaking of which, I've been working on several things recently brought up after the last Fotrs Ultimate v0.62 release. Here's the issues noted:

1. Getting a Green Light with the Hydrophone from planes passing over.

2. Getting a Green Light with the Hydrophone after a sunk ship.

3. The ability to have all ships at all reasonable speeds (4 kts and faster) to be heard with the manual use Hydrophone.

The first issue has been confirmed by me.......certain planes can be heard with the Hydrophone. Interestingly, what you're hearing isn't the plane engine, but the "ordinance" it's carrying.....specifically a torpedoes "Cruise" sound when it's intended to be going through the water. Makes no difference if its an axis plane, or a friendly (there are two different "air torpedoes" in the Fotrs Ultimate game, one for each side), there are 8 planes that carry torpedoes. It could be any one of the 8 that you'll hear the Torpedo Cruise "hyd" sound with the Hydrophone use, and see the Green Light follow the planes bearing. This is whether the torpedo is above the water......... being carried by the plane at 1000 feet altitude, or when the torpedo is dropped and traveling below water level on an attack run.

You may be thinking, "This wasn't an issue in the stock game!?" The reason being, even the stock Japanese Kate plane carried a bomb rather than a torpedo as its "Basic" loadout ordinance. Torpedoes as the "main" ordinance were not used in the stock game (probably for this very reason).

You would think this issue can be cleared up with the parameters involved.......but up to now, I've not found a satisfactory result. The only way to eliminate this sound from Hydrophone use has been to eliminate the sound completely!! Actually that's unwanted, due to losing the ability to hear the torpedo heading towards the sub if one was dropped in an attack. I've yet to discover a suitable parameter in the sensors.sim file (the file that controls Radar/Sonar/Hydrophone) that works as intended, or works at all, to control the Hydrophone from picking up a target above water. They don't seem to work!

========

Same with the Green Light displaying the position of a previous sunk ship. You'll not "hear" the ship after its sunk and resting on the bottom. But, you'll still get the Green Light to indicate where the sinking took place?!? Nothing seems to effect this outcome.

========

However, I have had success in getting ships to be heard at low speeds, by increasing their engine-power rating and fiddling with their "mass" figure to compensate for their increased horsepower. This in-turn, as brought into question a ships performance in maneuverability, and acceleration. Something I believe is lacking with the ship models that's represented now. What I've seen on a regular basis, has been ships slowed in acceleration (those jack rabbit starts we've all seen can be eliminated), but the turning and convoy ship compliance suffer due to the lack of maneuverability. I think something can be done about this, with the outcome to having a better performing ship physics, AND having all ships to be heard with Hydrophone use. They happen to work together!

That's what I've been up to.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 07-19-17 at 06:28 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote