View Single Post
Old 07-18-17, 06:14 AM   #23
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
I was thinking the same thing some time ago but I think there is a topic somewhere on this forum, where Shipkiller explained why it shouldn't happen.
Radar is another thing though and sinking ships should still attract missiles.
Yup, as I recall though he was talking about a depth "floor" where by a seeking torpedo targeted at a surface vessel wouldn't dive down after returns below a set depth. I should have been more descriptive too, when I said "pinging-torpedo" I mean something that is already gone into acquisition, chances are (and this is probably quite wrong for newer, more sophisticated torpedoes) if you can give it a bigger sonar return (in this case the wreck) it will go for that, something like early Sidewinder missiles breaking lock and homing in on the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Well, turns out the torpedoes are actually listening for specific narrowband frequencies and not broadband noise, so there's no reason they should lock on a wreck no matter how noisy it is.
That's a good point too, that the torpedo would be homing on the sounds made by the mechanical parts of the ship functioning and not just noise in general.