View Single Post
Old 06-27-17, 10:38 AM   #18
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
On the other hand, if you launch your missiles from a long distance they can be picked up early by radar (especially if they're flying in a group) and the enemy will have sufficient time to scramble some jets. And I'd assume that for a flight of fighters shooting down 10 missiles is a matter of minutes, considering they fly in a straight line and relatively slow (to a supersonic fighter jet). If I were a pilot I'd even forget the missiles (TLAMS might be too small for them to intercept) and just deal with them using guns.

But if you fire them at closer range even if they are picked up by radar there's not enough time to intercept them.
Actually, you would want to launch them as far away as possible. It's not easy to shoot down a TLAM, Unless it was detected at launch and engaged right away. they will be below the radar horizon (about 28 miles given a flight altitude of 100ft and a radar height of 100ft) of any surface radar in 3 minutes and with their ability to have programmed course changes. you wouldn't even have an idea where they are headed. Even fighters with look down/shoot down radar or a Mainstay will have problem picking them up given their size and ground clutter until they are very close.

Last edited by Wiz33; 06-27-17 at 10:47 AM.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote