View Single Post
Old 06-22-17, 07:49 AM   #31
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Well, fortunately for my sanity, I have reacquired the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.148 Cold War Submarines
Locating the BQQ-2 in the bow placed it in an optimum search location ... required that the 21-inch ... be moved further aft and angled outboard at approximately 15 degrees .... The Bureau of Ships was concerned that firing at an angle would limit the speed at which a submarine could launch torpedoes, but the feasibility of angled launch was demonstrated to a speed of 18 knots.
and here's one more from the 2014 Submarine Torpedo Tactics: An American History
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.152
Considerable tests were run to determine the maximum speed that Sturgeon could make when firing torpedoes from the canted tubes. The concern stemmed from the fear that a torpedo leaving the tube would encounter strong lateral pressure on the forward part of the torpedo that might produce a twisting motion with a resulting hang-up in the tube. It was found that submarine speeds up to 18 knots would not interrupt a smooth torpedo departure.
For the Russian side, I think every account of the 671 (Victor) will include some reference to this affair, such as this:
http://www.deepstorm.ru/DeepStorm.fi...s/671/list.htm
or https://web.archive.org/web/20050405...80/sub.php?671
and I've also attached a JPEG from a book (unfortunately, Andrei V Polutov only seems to write for Japan, not the United States so the text is in Japanese, but all you really need to read is the "11" near the top of the right hand page).

So, at the very least, this idea and issue is indeed fairly well-sourced.

Quote:
As an aside a much bigger game play issue to me is the breaking of torpedo wires. I know for instance the MK48 is set to 10% chance, but I routinely can fire 4, at 5 kts level bubble and rudder, and have one wire survive launch. Even then it's rare for it to last anything close to the full run of the fish. I'm curious if there's something a bit off with the their probability generator or if I just have REALLY bad luck with torpedo wires. I even tried an experiment of setting the wire break chance to 1% with the same result.
Your experiences match mine. I've sadly given up on all attacks that assume the Mark 48 can be wire-guided.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20170622_203137_crop.jpg (86.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Kazuaki Shimazaki II; 06-22-17 at 07:59 AM.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote