View Single Post
Old 06-22-17, 03:44 AM   #30
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II View Post
I'm not going to pretend I'm any kind of hydrodynamics expert, but as I understand it that's basically it. They also discuss this issue over at Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210...0934236744375/

It might be possible to reduce the effect with tricks and knowhow like you suggest, and in fact I suspect that's what happened because I'm quite sure the US tubes don't jam at over 11 knots like what the Soviets calculated. However, any area of low pressure through hydrodynamic would likely be relative - an attenuation of forces rather than an elimination.

Given the fact the Soviets were willing to make a huge design compromise over this issue, I'll say for the moment the burden of proof is on the side claiming the "No Limitation" variant.
I'll have to do some digging but I recall reading about subs doing torpedo trials at full speed. If memory serves, speed limits are imposed on missile launches because the drag encountered at speed can do all sorts of funny things to the missile canister and spoil the launch.

On the topic of hydrodynamics, what is really bugging me lately is the frequency that ships which eat a Mk 37 can speed off into the night at 24 knots. My non-expert understanding is that speeding around with a hole in the bottom would almost surely end up tearing up whatever bulkheads survived in the damaged area. The Mk 37 doesn't have a very big warhead, but I think its safe to say that if one of them meets a ship, he's going to be out of the fight for a bit while he focuses on his continued survival.