View Single Post
Old 06-16-17, 12:05 PM   #115
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II View Post
I've been doing some thinking while rummaging through the customizable text files.

If "displacement" primarily controls the ship's survivability, with its maneuverability really being controlled by "Acceleration", "Deceleration", "Turn Rate" ... etc, then we can increase the differential between surface ships and submarines by using the sub's surfaced displacement value (for a Sierra, it is 6300 tons) as the starting point, not the submerged value.

After all, comparing apples to apples, the real mass of a sub is its surfaced displacement. Its submerged displacement is preplanned flooding with seawater. Why should that be considered part of the ship, and even its survivability guestimated on that basis?

What do you think? This should make it much easier to have vulnerable subs and suitably tough surface ships.
It's a good idea. Will have to test to see if it doesn't affect diving/surfacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Is displacement really the primary factor? Isn't it reserve buoyancy? I am not a naval architect or know much about this topic, but given an American sub and a Russian sub of the same displacement and assuming the American is single-hulled and the Russian is double-hulled, the Russian sub would have a higher survivability due to increased reserve buoyancy.
The only proof I have is a little test I made. I've significantly bumped displacement for Alligator (basically added one 0 to the number) and tried to sink it in tutorial mission. If I remember correctly it took 4 torpedoes to sink it, but instead of sinking it just flipped over and floated on the surface.
That's why I'm cautious about changing displacement and that's why I choose to account for different hull designs by modifying Player and AI hull modifiers in difficulty settings.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote