View Single Post
Old 06-08-17, 08:50 AM   #5
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Maybe we should be anachronistic and give the player Mk37C instead which is faster.
This was a thought I had as well. From what I've read (found a manual for the 37C on line from one of the sub museums), the 37C program (which eventually lead to the NT37 with later variants including improved electronics ect) was intended as a quick fix for the Mk37 once it became apparent that it was of marginal capability (and probably couldn't catch some of the newer Soviet nuke-boats). One thing that I took particular interest in is that they always intended to produce the 37C in kit form so that the upgrades could be done pier-side or even on a tender, and while it did have a number of its own unique parts, it used as much from the Mk46 as possible.

I may be incorrect here but my understanding is that the 37C underwent testing from 1968 onward into the early 70s, but somewhere early in the navy decided that they were much more interested in the "super-torpedo" Mk 48 and the capabilities it would bring vs. upgrading the Mk37s so they would be less marginal.

While hypothetical, I would propose that given the right circumstances in 1968, on an emergency basis these 37C kits could have been fielded to tenders and bases to fairly quickly convert some of the mk 37s then in service to Cs. It would be pretty cool to see the 37C as a kind of "golden bullet" which, if you're lucky, you'll only manage to get one or two due to limited supply. Not sure if this can be done in the game though but just a thought.

Edit: Said Mk 37C manual https://maritime.org/doc/torpedomk37/index.htm

Last edited by The Bandit; 06-08-17 at 10:08 AM.
The Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote