View Single Post
Old 04-17-17, 12:54 PM   #12
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Ok think I've got this figured out now, and the news is kinda disappointing. I kept testing various mods to collect more data on when you are considered "submerged." I noticed that the depth at which you are kicked out of the bridge down to the control room coincides with your loss of comms. Initially I focused my efforts around searching for a node in the conning tower files, changing node positions and seeing no behavior change in game. Looked at everything related to ships draft, surfaced and submerged, nothing changed. Then I noticed that when the decks were awash in the mods I tested that's when you lost comms and were considered submerged. As a side note, that's also the depth in which you switch propulsion over. I tried out the GUPPY 3 mod and there was a change. The decks were awash, but nothing happened until the PUFFS receivers were underwater. Turns out the game uses the 3d model of the hull to determine when you are "submerged." I tested this out with the stock units starting with the S class. At 30ft I was marked submerged just as the parts pertaining to the radio loop antennas went underwater. Tried again with another class, the Balao this time. At 39ft it was the flagstaff back aft that stood the highest on the model. Not satisfied I tried again with a mod I'm working on. I cloned the 3d model in a 3d editor and separated the models but exporting them both. When brought into the game the result was a "submerged" depth of 130ft!

Now with all this information I'm going to see if I can't trick the game into thinking that periscope depth for one of my nuc boats will work, by placing a single vertex at a predetermined point.

Great work.

I often shake my head at what the people who created this sim were thinking, irritates me to say the least. Thankful for the subsim community, saved this sim and 10 years out still a great thing.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote