View Single Post
Old 04-14-17, 09:25 PM   #41
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
With lithium based batteries, there is an optimal charge state, just over 50%, where the battery does not deteriorate. Both above and below that the battery breaks down chemically, outgassing and filling the bag it come in with the gas. This causes it to swell over time in a laptop, where the charger is keeping it at 100% all the time.

Because of that, there are minimum space requirements around these batteries, which are well-known by manufacturers. But because slim devices are so stylish right now, otherwise smart companies like Samsung and Dell push the limits.

The result is the Galaxy S7 and the Dell XPS, which do not have the clearances to accommodate inevitable battery swelling. It's a design problem, pure and simple, for a long known and normal battery behavior when it is mistreated, as it is in a laptop. It should still last three years as long as the computer itself is properly designed. Unfortunately.... And unfortunately, as the Galaxy S7 debacle proves, the situation isn't just a cosmetic problem. It can result in fires and explosions.
When I purchased my smartphone I chose to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 instead of the Note 5. The reason is that in the Note 5 the battery is sealed inside the unit and you have to take the smartphone to the Samsung dealer to get a new battery installed. The Note 4 I can take apart and replace the battery myself. While the Note 4 is not water resistant and can leak water inside I don't plan on dropping it into the water any time soon. But I may have to replace the battery some day.

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote