View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 11:36 PM   #25
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicheBach View Post
Had a little jaunt in the Nautilus (this is with Fall of the Rising Sun mod, which is quite good, not sure if the V-boats are in stock). Neat boat but boy is it slow to dive. That career was going good for about a month, then I befell a common foible I make: interloping into enemy harbors and either detecting naval mines or sub nets (or stealthy Krakens, I'm not sure) the "wrong" way. As they say, any ship can be a minesweeper . . . once.

I'll generally give myself one or two "reloads" or esp. when it was for reasons other than me just making really bad decisions. Reloading right before turning point moments in battle can be a good way to learn how different choices work out. But in general I prefer a "dead is dead" playstyle in character-based games like this one. It forces you to learn to be better I think. Plus lots of restarting careers helps to iron out the exact mod configuration, which for me is just FOTRS for now (albeit with the changes from Crew Fix plugged in manually by me).

I guess I'll start a new one in a Salmon class in Cavite. The Nautilus seems awfully vulnerable to aircraft attacks and I'm bad about forgetting/risking going to periscope depth in daylight. The S-boat was interesting, but of course the main goal is "survive long enough to get assigned a better boat." Would be neat to check out those two 6" guns in a brawl, but Rockin' Robbins had gone and given me a complex about my big gun fetish so I guess I better learn to rely 99% on torps like a real sub ace

Actually that reminds me, a "sub" that I'd love to see in this game: the the French "submarine cruiser" Surcouf!

It was on its way to the Pacific under Free French command and it got plowed by a freighter coming out of the Panama canal. Not a hard "what if" to consider that it didn't get rammed and actually wound up serving in the Pacific. Would be very cool to see how it performs!
I just stumbled across this again: [REL] Free French Submarine Surcouf mod I've never tried it myself, but anything from Keltos is good. It'll give you an idea of what the beast could - er, couldn't do...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote