View Single Post
Old 03-19-17, 05:26 PM   #20
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Nope. If your heading is 000 true and the relative bearing is 090 he's off your starboard beam and also at 090 true. If he's heading 270 the AOB is 0, if he's heading 180 the AOB is Starboard 90, if he's heading 315 the AOB is Port 45. The Angle On the Bow is how YOU bear from HIM, not his bearing from you.

As for the PK, the primary purpose for that was to keep track of his "probable" location while the periscope was down - in the game you can unrealistically leave the scope sticking up indefinitely outside 1000 yards, in real life they tried to keep the exposure down to a 10 second observation every 2-3 minutes, which made the PK actually useful. Again the PK assumes no change of speed or course by the target between observations, it was considered a "working fiction" strictly to assist the tracking.
Whaa, whaa, what!?

Oh man, I cannot believe I had that wrong.

But that just does not make sense to me. If I set AOB to 0, the corresponding image on the dial is of a ship's cross section with the bow pointing toward zero. If I set it to 180 it is the ships bow pointing away from 180.

If him coming at "me" at a right angle to my heading were to equal "AOB" zero, then setting AOB to zero, speed to zero and range to max should cause the torp to gyro out in as extreme a starboard turn as it can make, no?

But that is not what it does. It goes straight out and maintains a trajectory in line with that of the ship at the time it was fired (zero relative bearing if fore tubes or 180 relative bearing if aft tubes).

Either what you just said doesn't make sense or I'm completely confused.

How do you determine AOB in the most "realistic" way you can in this game, i.e., using nothing but the periscope?