View Single Post
Old 03-12-17, 11:47 AM   #4179
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
My only issue with fixing it with changing speeds "in the field" ("ocean"??), is that a convoy at 9 knots with DD capable of 30+ knots, and you "hear" the convoy, but not the DD...
I can run a test convoy to see, but as memory serves me that DD that has a Max Speed at 30kts in the .sim file will have no problem in being heard as it travels the "convoy" speed of 9kts. As I said, once the Speed of the DD is set in the .mis file (above half its Max Speed) it can go down to 1 knot and still be heard....the convoy speed its protecting, over-rides the ships specific set Speed. As the DD travels to follow the convoy, it will be heard. AND, things like ship avoidance; turning..... that slows down the ship; The ship accelerating from a stopped position, has no effect on the Hydrophone....as long as its .mis speed for the specific ship is at least half its Max Speed rating.

Quote:
Now, being the artist that I am (ahem), I'll use the keyboard slash & pipe keys to try to illustrate what I think I'm understanding:

Code:
        ship set @ 212 degrees //
                              //             in other words, you'd set the 
                             //              vessel on the sea, but hadn't
              waypoint      o                hit the "Head To Waypoint"
          set direction=   ||                so it had to "turn" prior to
                           ||                getting itself up to speed?
                           ||
                           ||
                           ||
                           v
If I'm correct in my understanding, why would it be "hearable" under those circumstances, and yet the others take off right away "at speed"... ??
Not being the artist that I am, here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

This was my original test mission set up. The Yubari in question (that can be heard without fail) was heading south 180 degrees at the start. Notice my waypoint is angled several degrees to the ships starboard side. When the game started the mission, that Yubari was only doing 2kts while it struggled to turn to set itself towards the waypoint end. During this time, it was the only Yubari that could be heard by manual Hydrophone use. Even though all four were picked up by the AI Sonarman.

I decided to test it again, this time I used the Mission Editor to "Set Position to Waypoint" function....which turned the ship to the direction of the waypoint automatically, then played the test mission in-game:

Notice the time, its less than one minute from when the test mission started (it started at 12 noon). The Yubari is already traveling at 20kts without an acceleration lag required. That just points to me that all ships should have their start position pointed in the same way as the waypoint, so as not get run over by another ship that's close behind...that doesn't have this acceleration lag.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote