View Single Post
Old 03-12-17, 07:25 AM   #310
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The German texts of Star Trek Classic are much better than the English original, since the Germans did not stick slavishly to the original text, but added - surprise - much more word gaming and humour to it, adding a relaxed, laid back attitude to the feeling of the show that in the original had a way more "militaristic", or material kind of language. The german version simply is better, more adequate fior the absurd settings, the English takes it all way too serious.

But an even better exmaple is "Die 2" (The Persuaders) with Roger Moore and Tony Curtis. A British series that was a flop in Britain, then came to Germany, and the Germans ripped out the complete text script and completely replaced it with what since then became known as "Schnodder-Snychro" - grotesque, humourous, often very funny wordings and even ryhmes that became such a successful phenomenon that it was copied in other countries. The French bought the German version, and dubbed/translated it into French - from the German, not the English. Later, the British bought back the rights for the German versions, and reworkd the original English text, replacing it with a translation from the German into the English. The show then was broadcasted again and was signficantly more successful in britain, canada, and even the US. I once saw a program on this, where they broadcasted one episode three times after a brief docu: the German, the original English and the translated English version. The second english version was way better than the first one, the original was - boring.

To say original langauge is always the best for a film, is nonsense. Sometimes it has more relevance, sometimes less. The artistic aim plays a role, Rambo does not suffer from being translated into another language, while Shakespeare may make language more relevant... I fail to see GoT being that much depending on the English original. Fawlty'S Towers, however, needs the Egnlish version indeed, the German one did nt make me laugh (I admit the English did not make me laugh either, I just dont like this show).

I only say it is stupid to make a festish of something that last but not least to such a big ammount is a question of subjective taste.

Personally, I do not like subtitles, I find them extremely annoying, since it distracts me.

The key to good dubbing is to find a well-matching voice for the physical appearance of the film actor, and to not try to slavishly stick to the original text and then linearly translating it word by word. The rythm of what is beign spoken, sometimes even the ryhming, is as important, if not more. I am ften surprised and dissapointed when hearing for exmaple some Hollywood actor speaking with his own voice. The German voices often fit so much better: the actor and the characters he plays as well. Sean Connery. Robert de Niro. Al Pacino. Harrison Ford. I am still shocked when I hear them in their own voices, its as if they have breathed helium.

Finally, listening to a foreign language sooner or later brings most people to the limits of what they can do and understand in that foreign language. Usually passive vocabulary is bigger than active vocabulary - me is a good exmaple My limits were for example met when I tried to read the Gormenghast novels by Mervyn Peake in English - the first volume at least. I did, most of it, but it was a terrible battle, and I missed much of the pleasure and fun due to the extremely formidable language that Peake used in these books, and conctsntly needing to nterrupt and search things in the dictionary. I could not enjoy the beauty and humour in it because I could not grab it. Thankfully, contemporary ordinary English is not as artistic as the language in these books. By comparison, reading Dune and Lord of the Rings in English, was a breeze.