View Single Post
Old 02-07-17, 05:23 AM   #1497
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

@Takeda:

I am deeply saddened to read what you and your family have endured and I do not fault your decision to leave. Someone who would seek, on their own, to assist those being bullied by thugs, deserves not to be treated as your family has been. Over the years, decades, I have known more than a few persons who have dealt with similar situations and have seen more than a few make the same decision. No one should have to put up with such offensive and potentially dangerous behavior. For the sake of your family, I hope your remaining time here is uneventful and safe...

It is a sad situation when highly talented and skilled individuals in fields in which this nation is experiencing a growing deficiency find it necessary to go abroad rather than face such outrages. It is also a sad situation when many of the highly talented and skilled individuals who would like to come here and share their very much needed talents are finding the path obstructed more and more by mindless political idiots who have little or nothing of their own highly dubious talents to contribute. I live in Los Angeles and there are two very large, prestigious universities (UCLA & USC), several smaller but very influential colleges, a major technical university, the California institute of Technology (home of the Jet Propulsion Lab), and a burgeoning tech business starting to rival the Silicon Valley (with typical So. Cal style, the tech sector has been dubbed "Silicon Beach"). There are also several major medical centers here that are pioneering new treatment methods and medications and are at the forefronts of their research fields. And you know what I've observed over the years? An ever increasing number of the persons attending those universities and colleges, doing the research and development work at CalTech and JPL, and making the breakthroughs at those medical centers come from India, Pakistan, the Mideast, and, more recently, Asia, specifically China. When you walk through those facilities, you will see a very high percentage of the working population at those sites are not Caucasian, and, if you look at the directories of those institutions, you will see a very large number of 'non-American' names in highly responsible positions, positions they earned and usually earned having to "swim upstream"...

About 30 or so years ago, I was part of a project to update and upgrade the class registration system at one of the two major universities in LA. As part of the process, some of us actually worked the registration desks so as to be able to find and, if possible, correct on the spot any bugs that might crop up. After the first day, I commented to one of the university officials about the very high percentage of foreign students who had majors in and were registering for classes in highly technical and scientific fields and a correspondingly high percentage of US born students with majors and registrations in fields in non-technical fields, with a very large portion of that group going for MBAs. The official said the trend had been going on for some time and there was a possibility of there soon being far fewer US graduates in the sciences than foreign-born graduates. Now, decades later, the possibility has pretty much been proven as fact. The reality is if it were not for those who came from abroad, often paying very high prices both financially and personally, and who applied themselves to those fields while US student were following the "Gordon Gekko" path, medicine, technology, and the underlying educational structure for the sciences would be in a very sad state indeed. If the US is at all a major power in the sciences and technical education, it is because those people were welcomed in; it is because, even after they got their degrees, they opted to stay here and continue to contribute; and it is because some of the best and the brightest in their fields, educated in some of the finest universities and colleges abroad also chose to come here and contribute. Yet, for some people, all they see is "foreigners", not like "us", not "real Americans". Well, fine, then let's send them all packing, all the foreigner doctors, and scientists, and professors, and creators and developers of new tech; then, when the dust settles and the US finds itself having to play catch up with the rest of the world, watching as other nations who were not so 'picky' about the origins of those who just wanted to pursue their fields, maybe, then , the "wisdom" of our leaders won't seem so "wise". After all, if it weren't for some other nations in the past deciding it was a good idea to get rid of all those pesky academics and scientists who questioned their governments or just didn't fit in with the "real citizens" of their lands, the US wouldn't have had all those foreigners like Einstein, Fermi, and the Fanos. That whole idea of forcing out the "undesirables" worked out real well for those nations, didn't it?...

So what is is the scorecard in this situation? A cardiologist (a field where the US shortage is critical) and a respected academic versus a larger number of brainless, thick, thugs who make no noteworthy or beneficial contribution to our nation: it must be golf because the winning point is 2 and Australia and not the US is the winner. At least Trump will have a few more voters for his most-likely-never-to-happen reelection...

Here is an interesting list of refugees whose home nations thought it was a good idea to force out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_refugees

And, just to show there is still hope for those of us who remain, this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2964639

One person stands up, others stand with them; maybe we can eventually erase more than graffiti...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 02-07-17 at 05:39 AM.