View Single Post
Old 02-06-17, 11:56 PM   #1491
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
It's nice of you to say, and I apologize for crying on your shoulder. I am angry, and I know exactly where that anger comes from -- fear. My wife and I are scared all the time. What if we were to lose them? What would we do? How do you go on from that?

We don't let on to the girls, but kids are smart. They know when something isn't right. I vacated my position at the university so that I could be home with them all the time. I drop them off at school. I pick them. Up. Christ, I get there an hour ahead of time so that I am first in line. She calls home every hour. "Are they okay?" "Did the school call?" They don't go to friends houses. They never go outside alone, and they stay inside as much as possible. And daddy and mommy look so tired all the time. They know we don't sleep.

It breaks you Jamie. It crushes you down until there's nothing left but hate, and you're on SubSim at 11:15 pm alternating between outright hostility and gushing about despair. And my wife is right here next to me, watching reruns of Wings and trying not to cry. Our life is hell. We've got each other and that's it.
No-one should have to go through that Tak, and for such a simple thing, for helping in the community. No, it's an ugly thing that has awoken from slumber and I'm glad you're getting away from it. I won't pretend that Australia is free from problems but it seems to have its head on straighter than many at the moment, certainly better than the rest of the western world.
I don't know where things are going in the western world right now, I see the rise of far-right groups, who, if you had said twenty years ago they would be so close to power you'd have been laughed off the fledgling internet. It seems that in times of economic crisis we once again fall into the same old traps that our predecessors walked into, the sirens call of the men and women who say "We can fix this, it's all their fault."
History may not repeat, but it sure as hell does rhyme, as the saying goes.