View Single Post
Old 01-26-17, 04:01 AM   #2068
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Yes, I read all of that and thought long and hard about what I would put in. I didn't mention the second mine because my original source, U-Boat.net didn't mention it. I spend a minimum of ten minutes on each entry, and sometimes twice that looking at the books I have as well as the web sites. Today's list took almost four hours, and even with that I don't always get everything I'd like.

As to how the passengers died, I used Captain Norton's own words: "To the best of my knowledge, all the men got safely into the boats. The best of order prevailed after the explosion. The officers and men lived up to the best traditions of the navy...The deaths were all due to exposure, owing to the coldness of the night. My own boat was almost full of water when we were picked up by a trawler the next morning, but all the men in the boat survived. Another boat, picked up at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, contained five survivors and fifteen frozen bodies. They had been exposed to the bitter cold for over twenty hours."[