View Single Post
Old 01-12-17, 04:58 PM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

This convenience update puts together all the stuff that you do not want - or not: point is you do not know. I have read about it before, and the tendency in views is to warn of it.

We do not want the reverse-implementing of W10 snuffware, spyware and privacy violation into W7 and W8, but that is what you get when you install patches for W7 beyond a certain critical date. Thats why I say: in case of doubt: upgrade to SP1, but no patch that came after that. I personally went to patch status summer 2015, but I had an independent patch archive for that that seems to be no more available on the web.

Do not just trust descriptions of patches, since Microsoft has lied on some poatches one time too often now. Trusting their word is no longer justified. They want their telemetry and profiling stuff on your rig, may it be W10, W8 or W7 - and they do not take your No as an answer. Thats the only thing you need to keep on mind about them. If you intend to mean your No serious, do not run Windows update, do not use the patches later than spring or early summer 2015 - as long as you do not want to spend hours and hours for manually investigating the trustworthiness and correctness of everxy single one patch the is. I found that to become a many-hours-consuming half time job - and that was when I decided to move to Linux and leave Windows behind. The time investement was not worth it anymore.

Simple rule: do not accept anything for Microsoft anymore. Do not give them access to your rig. Lock them out, completely.

You cannot rule out that they infest even older patches in their arhcives with their wanted sniffware, it is not unexpected if they do that, since occasionally they change the content of patches anyway over the years (since long time already), or re-release patches people refuse to get repeatedly under different markers or names. During GWX campaign they did that with one critical famous door-kicker patch I think 18 times: rub it under their nose until they finally inhale it, you always catch a few with any new attempt.