View Single Post
Old 01-09-17, 08:18 AM   #1442
KilooliK
Watch

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

I find the Kilo sonar, as simple, and easy to navigate. It doesnt look like a space station panel. As mentioned earlier, the Kilo sonar picked up the 5 contacts pretty much instantly (every time) at the start of the mission. While the Akula lll took a bit of time to pick them all up. So in conclusion, I think the sphere/hull sonar in the Kilo is actually better than the Akula lll. Now of course the TA on the Akula, give it an obvious edge against other subs. I dont expect the Kilo to find a modern (Virginia/Akula/Kilo) sub out past 4-5nm reliably if the sub is on the hunt. If it all. But, it will pick them up if youre close (3-5nm) enough. Conditions vary. Speed/Depth/Current etc etc. I dont feel the Kilo is the best choice of sub, to go head to head with against a Virginia. Since the Kilo lacks a TA. But, it does have the stealth advantage. 90% of the time, an enemy sub doesnt engage me first. It is only after I fire my torpedos first, that he learns of my location and fires one back down my bearing. So in short, I get first shot. If I can find him.

But yes, the ASM have a minimum range, which is 5nm. The seeker wont home on anything under 5nm by default. But it seems in RA, that may be 8nm+ seeker minimum? Because shooting at boats at 5-7nm with Club SSM missiles is a no go in RA.

Ill check tma on 3D map. Might be some of my issues regarding contacts hoping around .

Last edited by KilooliK; 01-09-17 at 09:18 AM.
KilooliK is offline   Reply With Quote