View Single Post
Old 01-06-17, 07:27 AM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeltaktik View Post
I am having an issue maintaining depth in my u-boote. I have NYGM-Tonnage War loaded.

While at periscope depth, my boote cannot keep depth at speeds under 1/3 knots. It sinks if speed is 0 and falls below periscope depth. I cannot maintain depth while submerged at any depth unless I keep the speed above 1/2 knots. Kinda stinks to run at higher speeds just to maintain depth and all this time battery is draining quickly. Can't run silent while trying to keep even depth. I nearly had boote sink to crushing depth while I was at 64 time compression! Saved it when I saw depth gauge plummet!! Only happens when I am submerged and does not happen when I am surfaced.
There is no damage to boote nor has there been any to the dive planes.

Please advise.
That's a feature of submarines. They can't hover. NYGM opts for slight negative trim. GWX, IIRC, has slight positive trim. RL, it would vary, in direction and magnitude, depending on conditions and the skill of the boat's CE. But holding truly stationary, with no up or down drift, was not something be relied upon. That's why skippers grounded their boats when possible. Read Werner. He regularly grounded his boat, but never mentioned hovering though.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote