View Single Post
Old 01-06-17, 07:13 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Decide wether or not you care for privacy. W10 kills it anyway, since Microsoft makes money from selling you to its customers. But you can influence a bit how easy you make it for Microsoft, and seal your copy of W10 off a bit. Switching privacy intrusion off completely you cannot.

Here you need to search the web on info a bit.

Also understand that dramatic change in update policies. No longer can you choose what updates you want and what not - you can delay it at best to get all the stuff shoveled onto your HD, but you cannot say Nay anymore. Well maybe you can, I am not certain - but you need to have a pro admin's knowledge to do so and must be willing to manually investigate every single KB patch and do research on the web whether it is broken or not and invest a lot of time for all this - and Microsoft has dramatically reduced the quality of its patches in the past 24 months, and fired experienced staff working on such patches. Again: Microsoft insists that you accept to take the bad, the broken, the step-backwards patches as well, you cannot opt out, at best you can only delay it. So be prepared to get hit by bad stuff and serve as a Beta tester unvoluntarily. When you run into problems that are new, did not exist on the day before, always consider that it might be due to a new patch, especially after patching Tuesdays. The issues can be, but must not always be, very severe. And it is known that it can seriously impact on gaming, too. Many people therefore have decided to upgrade from W10 back to an earlier version of Windows. Which has its own set of problems nowadays.

I would make it a habit to scan this blog twice or three times a week.

https://www.askwoody.com/

The audience is mostly pro admins working for companies, but much of what they have to say is valid for private end users, too. Whether we always understand all the stuff they talk, is something different. But after some time you might get a feeling for the swing of things. But its safe to say that professionals and adminstrators hate Windows 10. Telling you this not to frustrate you, but to set you up on your guard. Its also recommended to spend two or three hours and investigate this blog over the past 18 months or so.

Sorry that I cannot talk you through W10 setups better, but I do not use it, and do not intend to ever use it. Limiting privacy vulnerabilties and being aware of the worstening patching situation are the two things you need to watch out for and research on the web. This is the answer to your initial question, or a hint for the answers to your question.

And do not blindly trust what Microsoft writes about this or that patch. They are lying all too often and intentionally mislabel stuff these days, or simply leave out important but controversial descriptions. Serious. The past two years have been full of such incidents.

Try to enjoy your new kit despite my depressing answer! New computers always are adventures best enjoyed at the very beginning. Just accept that you need to say goodby to the idea that you own your computer. The new owner is Microsoft, and they will try to do with it as they please.