View Single Post
Old 12-29-16, 09:53 AM   #2010
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

29th December 1916

Western Front

At Verdun, Germany troops attack French positions on a two-mile front at Le’Homme Morte and gain some ground.

Eastern Front

Heavy fighting continues on Moldavian frontier; some enemy progress in the Oitoz valley.

Enemy advance north and east from Ramnicu Sarat continued.

Political, etc.

General Haig declares that the “great victory” at the Somme proves the Allies will be able to defeat the Germans in the war.

Some members of the British Labour Party urge a 25% levy on capital and to break up large estates to raise money for the war.

French and British ministers, in Conference for last three days, arrive at complete agreement.

Germany warns its citizens that food shortages will continue next year even if the war ends.

Norway, Sweden, and Denmark express support for the U.S. proposal to mediate a peace in Europe.

Ship Losses:

Alondra (United Kingdom) The passenger-cargo ship was wrecked on Kedge Rock off Baltimore, County Cork, Ireland, with the loss of 16 crew members. Twenty-three survivors were saved by a Royal National Lifeboat Institution lifeboat and the crews of Royal Navy trawlers lifting men up cliffs from the wreck.
Lonada (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 6 (Werner von Zerboni di Sposetti) and sank in the North Sea 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) north by east of the Shipwash Lightship ( United Kingdom) with the loss of six of her crew.
Tuskar (Russia) The cargo ship was sunk in the North Sea 60 nautical miles (110 km) east of Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, United Kingdom by SM U-48 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
HMS Ludlow (Royal Navy) The Racecourse-class minesweeper struck a mine laid by UC 6 (Werner von Zerboni di Sposetti) and sank in the North Sea off the Shipwash Lightship ( United Kingdom) (51°51′N 1°20′E) with the loss of six of her crew.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote