View Single Post
Old 12-26-16, 12:55 PM   #2004
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

26th December 1916

Western Front

General Joffre created a Marshal of France.

Eastern Front

Heavy shelling of Russian positions in Galicia.

Severe fighting along whole Romanian front.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

Mesopotamia: Weather broken; operations much hindered.

Naval and Overseas Operations

Naval aeroplanes bomb Turkish camps at Galata (Dardanelles).

Naval air-raid on Zeebrugge.

Political, etc.

Germany's reply to President Wilson's Note of 20 December handed to U.S.A. at Berlin.

Austria-Hungary delivers similar reply.

Charles I of Austria prepares for his formal coronation. Princess Zita, his wife, will wear a gown worth $10,000.

Governor General von Beseler orders the creation of the Polish State Credit Bank.

German school children also contribute to the war effort by subscribing $475,000 to the new German war loan.

Ship Losses:

Agnes (United Kingdom) The schooner was scuttled in the Irish Sea 15 nautical miles (28 km) south west by west of St. Ann's Head, Pembrokeshire by SM UC-46 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Johan (Denmark) The barque was scuttled in the English Channel 22 nautical miles (41 km) north north west of the Casquets, Channel Islands by SM U-79 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Neptune (Belgium) The trawler was sunk in the Irish Sea off the Smalls Lighthouse by SM UC-46 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Saint Louis (France) The schooner struck a mine laid by UC 46 (Friedrich Moecke) and sank in the Irish Sea 3.5 nautical miles (6.5 km) south of Mumbles Head, Glamorgan, United Kingdom (51°31′N 3°59′W) with the loss of three of her crew.
Spinaway (United Kingdom) The schooner was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 42 nautical miles (78 km) north west of Cape Villano, Spain (43°06′N 10°03′W) by SM U-70 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

"The Curse Of The World" (Western Mail cartoon).

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote