View Single Post
Old 11-14-16, 05:52 AM   #125
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
I was not refering to problems with shaddow/AO maps. Thetricky part are are not due to the anchors but the chains:
I love your attention to details guys. Yet, I would spare the extra polygons of 3D chains (or the time required for splitting each chain in smaller pieces to be repeated n times over the model), for more important stuff.

This is my rendition of a Mk 6 depth charge with its throwing harbor, by the way (no AO mapped yet):

Most details, including bolts, detonator, filling holes, etc, are 3D, but the chain was created by mapping a texture with opacity mask set appropriately, on top of two band shaped, almost flat, objects, overlayed one on top of the other and with back faces set as visible so to give the impression of a three dimensional chain.

The final resut is obviously far from perfet, but at a distance and under most angles discovering the trick would require a skilled eye.

I think that chains in stock SH5 models were done using a similar method, and in game they look fairly good.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote