View Single Post
Old 10-22-16, 08:43 PM   #8
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

Linux has a subsystem called WINE, which is a collection of Windows APIs that allow Windows programs to run natively in Linux. Apple, whose OSX is also built on a Linux bedrock core, also has a version of WINE to run Windows programs on Apple machines.

Silent Hunter 4 runs magnificently in WINE under Linux.

Silent Hunter 3 has been a bit more of a problem, but since Amazon has a downloadable SH3 which doesn't have the DRM, we can still get it to run.
I thought I would comment on this part of RR's post, as I've been running both SH3 and SH4 on Linux for a while...

First, WINE versions: 1.X.Y
If "X" is an EVEN number, it is a "stable" or bugfix only version.
If "X" is an ODD number, it is a "staging" version. This is the one that they are adding new "stuff" to, such as the ability to run a game requiring a newer DirectX version.
"Y" is simply which "minor" version you have, higher number is newer.

As RR and I have commented in other threads (way too many other threads... although, relevant to the topic at hand)...

Ubuntu is currently (as of RR's post) on WINE 1.6.2, which means it's a stable version.

In comparison, I run Fedora, which as of this post the WINE version available is 1.9.20.
Which if you notice the "9", means it's a "staging" version (I'm running 1.9.17).

The Current stable, on the WINE website, is 1.8.5.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) is currently using the 1.8.x version(s)

So to put all of this info into perspective and "plain language".

If you look at my "version" description above, there are "staging" and "stable"...
1.5 was a "staging", 1.6 is the "debugged" version of 1.5, nothing new, just fixing problems that came up with 1.5.

1.7 is a staging, finished last year (2015), was 17 months of development (https://www.winehq.org/news/25 scroll down to "1.8.0 released").
1.8 is again a "debugged" version...
Now 1.7 gets the same fixes to 1.5 code, as did 1.6. but 1.7 was adding new stuff.

Same goes for 1.9, once they are finished adding, then they will start on debugging it.
They do debugging as they go, but it's more in depth with a stable version.

THE POINT:
I ran SH3 from 1.7.30/31/32 (I forget) from Oct/Nov 2014, to 1.7.55, and only had trouble one time (1.7.40 The water wasn't semi-transparent, it was solid, flat black. I could see underwater, or above it, but I couldn't look through my periscope with it underwater and see the ships cruising by above water).
But SH3 ran fine otherwise.

SH3 has run fine on 1.9 since I updated to a newer Fedora on my new 8core.

For SH4, I'm running the Steam version, and as I posted here, http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=227058 has been running good.
I only had trouble with 1 version, but I had trouble with most of my steam games with that one.

I've also run newer games, I have played the DX11 update to Red Faction: Guerrilla and it looked and ran fantastic.

I mention all of this, for the following reason.
Some "distros" are easier to use if you are unsure how to "use" (that is do... anything) in Linux. These are good for beginners.

Other "distros" are running newer versions of software. But may suffer from "regressions" (it worked before, but doesn't now). They are also a "moving target".

Others are geared for "Business" (RHEL) and are "newer, but don't break anything" types. Simply because, "downtime" is expensive.

WINE has many/most older games covered. But I'm still waiting on the WINE that runs Fallout 4.

Barracuda

P.S. I'm running on little sleep. I tried to make this as simple as I could...
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote