View Single Post
Old 10-13-16, 12:18 PM   #1558
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default They don't call it 'Union' Rugby fer nuthin'

1972:
Quote:
Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 was a chartered flight carrying 45 people, including a rugby union team, their friends, family and associates, that crashed in the Andes on 13 October 1972, in an incident known as the Andes flight disaster and, in the Hispanic world and South America, as the Miracle of the Andes .More than a quarter of the passengers died in the crash and several others quickly succumbed to cold and injury. Of the 27 who were alive a few days after the accident, another eight were killed by an avalanche that swept over their shelter in the wreckage. The last 16 survivors were rescued on 23 December 1972, more than two months after the crash.
The survivors had little food and no source of heat in the harsh conditions at over 3,600 metres (11,800 ft) altitude. -25 below zero! Faced with starvation and radio news reports that the search for them had been abandoned, the survivors fed on the bodies of dead passengers that had been preserved in the snow. Rescuers did not learn of the survivors until 72 days after the crash when passengers
Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa, after a 10-day trek across the Andes, found Chilean Sergio Catalán, who gave them food and then alerted the authorities to the existence of the other survivors.
Weirdly, a Rugby player (6 years) at the time myself, a gruesomely 'Rugby-humor' bumper-sticker materialized...which I recollect seeing several times over the years on several teammates' vehicle bumpers: "Rugby Players Eat Their Dead". This item was to have profound artistic impact...
Quote:
As the director Frank Marshall cruised north toward Los Angeles in August 1991, his attention was abruptly commanded by a red pickup truck that swerved recklessly in front of his BMW. Its bumper sticker bore the legend "Rugby Players Eat Their Dead." Jeffrey Katzenberg, the chairman of Disney Studios, had just sent Mr. Marshall the script of "Alive," based on the true story of a Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes in 1972. Mr. Marshall was profoundly moved by the survivors' courage and wasn't squeamish about making a film dealing with cannibalism. He had a choice: "Swing Kids" or "Alive":
"We were coming back home when this little red truck pulled out in front of us, almost on purpose," Marshall says with a laugh. "And it had that bumper sticker about rugby players eating their dead. I said to my wife, 'Hey, there's the sign we need!'"
He called the studio from his car phone "and told them we were doing 'Alive.'" Marshall says he hasn't seen the bumper sticker since.
"I had never seen that bumper sticker before, and I've never seen it since," the wife, Ms. Kennedy, remembers. "We called Jeffrey right away on the car phone and said, 'We've just seen a vision. We're going to commit to this movie.' We were all laughing, but the way it happened was really too weird."

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote