View Single Post
Old 10-13-16, 07:20 AM   #5555
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Sturgeon announces consultations for second referendum. If you get more than you give, you surely know whom you want to line up with.

But with Brexit-hostile EUcrats indicating the Scots would be given special deals bypassing current EU laws and treaties to help Scotland getting into the EU as an "independent" nation, there also are many polticians who makde already clear that Scotland should not take it for grnated to just pick up what Britain has left behind laying on the ground in EU terms and benefits.

Me, I tell the Scots the same what I said last time: my sympathy for your independence - but you have to make sure you actually can afford it and you have to make sure you can make a living by your own means. If you expect us others to pay your bills, then you depend on us, and thus you are not indepednet and soverign a nation at all, no matter what your referendum claims. The last thing that I want and what the EU needs, is another net-receiving hungry mouth at the table. And that is what it would come down to. Britian was/still is a net payer. Scotland would be a net-receiver. The total balance regarding Scottish EU membership, from the EU's POV is negative. Thus, I want such a membership being denied by the EU.

A sovereign nation is only sovereign, when it can come up for its living by itself, and it is only independent, when it can come up for its bills by its own economic power. If it cannot secure this, then all talking about sovereignty and independence is just empty, pathetic kerfuffle. You cannot claim to be independent when you de facto are dependent.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-13-16 at 07:30 AM.