View Single Post
Old 10-06-16, 02:06 AM   #38
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

If you want an advanced system you want KDE Plasma. Now THAT's an advanced GUI. It looks incredible.
I was going to mention this earlier, but got a phone call and had to make a trip to the ER for someone I know. All is well now...

KDE has a lot of "Polish", "back in the day", I know a few that didn't have enough memory to run it. It can put a bit of strain on lower end PCs.
I'm using 1.2GB of RAM for KDE, a few widgets (cpu/ram/network), and firefox open for subsim...
I've been using KDE regularly for my Linux installs since I was using an AMD 2500xp with 1GB ram, and a 256MB video card...
Other desktops can run quicker on the same hardware, but I personally like KDE.
I feel completely "un-windows-ified" when using it.

I haven't liked Windows for a long time. Win98 was the last one I "liked". And even that one I had to patch together all the time. I had, for a while, a triple boot setup. 98/XP/Fedora. XP for the (then) newer games, 98 to fix XP, and Linux to run all the free software (such as 3d modeling programs like blender) that I couldn't afford for Windows (3ds max, etc). And finally to fix both 98 and XP when they messed up.

Quote:
It works well,
I agree.
There have been a few problems with the switch to KDE 5 from 4 (fedora 20 had KDE4, 23/24 have KDE5), but mostly trouble free.
I've only had a "major" issue twice. And that is with Fedora 24, but I simply rebooted and all was fine. (The Windows Manager crashed, but I am running Xorg 1.17 for FGLRX, not the 1.18 that is packaged with the .iso. So that may be the cause.)

But That usually occurs when I try to ALT-TAB from a game like SH4... Not exactly recommended in windows either....

Quote:
although there's a little paradigm warp you have to get your brain to conform to.
I never noticed any "warpage".... then again, maybe it's because I'm already "warped".

Quote:
When someone sees you running a computer with KDE Plasma they say WOW! What's that? KDE might be ahead of the curve right now with wow factor actually ahead of its efficiency but who cares?
Several times over the last 10 years I've shown people KDE, and they have asked:
"Is that the new windows?"
I reply "no that's KDE."
"KDE?"
"Yes, KDE, it runs on Linux. And, this version is from 3 years ago. I just keep it here to run these programs *points to programs* for modding my games."
"Will this run on my computer?"
"yep."

I showed someone Fedora 16 with KDE, in the begining of 2014, and they thought it was Win8.1, but they wanted to know what I did to get my Win8.1 to look like that.
That's when I dropped another "it's from 2 years ago" comment.
They didn't believe me, so I showed then the Fedora website, 19 was out, and I think 20 was nearing release...

Quote:
Same with web browser, text editor, screen compositor, sound system, every aspect of the operating system is just a software choice. You are ALWAYS free to make your own choices. Linux is all about freedom to make choices and that makes arguments about which distribution you run a bit silly.
The only "distro" argument I would make would be depending on two things:
1: How old is the hardware you are trying to run it on?
And,
2: How often do you like to upgrade your OS?

Certain distros would support less "work", i.e. LTS versions meaning you don't have to worry about installing the new Version for continued updates.
Others would support newer hardware, and capabilities sooner.

Other than that, I've noticed that some distros are "geared" to newer users, others to those that prefer to "do it themselves".

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote