View Single Post
Old 09-28-16, 09:58 AM   #3492
FiestaMasta
Nub

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Hey folks,

been on a U boat grind recently and decided to start back into SH4. Also for the first time decided to start playing with mods. After a few days of monkeying around I finally got Op Monsun to work. I understand the nature of the beast as I've read through most of the Turumbau Disasters and Surviving Op Monsun thread. Though I did run into a problem last night after the conclusion of an all evening patrol. (It was glorious, everything was running perfectly and smoothly)

Now from most of the tips I've read, I've learned to not overwrite saves and just create new saves. Plus save often. So through my all evening patrol last night I've created around 10-15 saves. Op Monsun may have crashed once or twice when encountering a convoy but that seems to be normal. I would just reboot SH4, continue from most recent save and keep playing.

I just finished a convoy attack just west of the English Channel firing off the last of my torps. Maneuvered through the channel and made my way back to Wilhelmshaven by Helgioland for resupply. After resupply I make my way to the open sea close to Helgio and make a save.

This is when I decide to do something in hindsight that was pretty stupid. But curiosity got the better of me. Even though I've read not to enter within 20km of an English Port I was inspired by a forum post I read about someone being the Terror of the Thames. So I decide to Saunter over to the dock by the mouth of the Thames to see what I can find in port. Weather is rough, I'm making my way over with weather and night on my side. I get withing 2km of the dock and go ahead and make a save, then hit F5 to enter the bridge. Game crashes.

Now, I'm thinking, this is alright. I've crashed upon entering the bridge before. Especially since I had maybe x2 or x4 TC on. (I try to keep it at x1 before I do anything graphical now such as enter free camera or bridge)

I reload SH4, first I risk the Thames save just outside of port. Loading gets to about 70%, "Please Wait" pops up, after 10 seconds get a CTD.

Ok, that's fine, the save is right next to port, I understand that can cause problems. Step 2. Reload SH4 and attempt my save from just outside of Helgioland in the open Sea. Same thing, 70% load bar, "Please Wait", CTD.

Now I'm starting to get a little confused, so I load my save before Helgioland where I'm in the middle of the English Channel on my way back to Wilhelmshaven. THE GAME LOADS, YAY! BUT, every icon, button, speed, depth, heading dial is all white. White boxes everywhere. My view is from the inside of my sub, besides a tiny sliver that I am standing on and parts of my crew that I can see, everything else is all white. Any hotkey I press causes a CTD. So I keep loading saves, going further back, exact same thing, white boxes and white washed graphics.

The nail in the coffin I think was I decided, ok, how about a brand new campaign. Same exact thing, white boxes and whitewash everything.

So now I'm in the process of completely reinstalling SH4 to start fresh, going to reload the mods and give the saves another go. I am also going to attempt the memory fix mentioned above to see if that helps with any stability.

Running Op Monsun and OMEGU with correct starting order installed via JSGME.
FiestaMasta is offline   Reply With Quote