View Single Post
Old 09-10-16, 12:15 AM   #25
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallet View Post
Gary Lensman, I just tried that method and succeeded right away, quite amazing how fast that was. I have had some success in the past using the regular TDC system, range, AOB, Speed, and all that. However I just sometimes fail for a reason that I really cant find. The ocean was pretty wavy but my speed calculation and AOB was correct, but the bearing/ range just wasnt putting the artificial target over the actual target. I couldnt use the stadimeter as the waves obstructed my view so I used sonar instead. Perhaps my range and bearing was off somehow. I think I am getting better but my attempts at normal TDC usage are 40/60 success to failure.
In my experience any torpedo solution in seas resulting from winds over 12 meters/sec is likely to fail and even 10 meters/sec can be iffy. This is regardless of the solution accuracy. Seems the torpedo(s) don't like to cope with the rough water. I've had shots lined up as described above at 600 yards, the ship just crawling along at 5 knots and still no hit (not even duds). I have made it a note to self not to waste torpedo(s) if the wind is 12 knots or greater and unless I'm just desperate to use my last torpedo so I can head to the barn, I won't bother unless the wind is 9 meters/sec or less.

edit> The random weather model in this game is so screwed that I've seen times when a 15 meter/sec storm lasted for game weeks across most of the pacific, going from east to west north of the equator against the prevailing winds no less, much like the great Red spot on Jupiter LOL. Usually in those cases if I have not made a contact and the wind is stuck on 15 meters/sec (not 14 or less), I will just semi-rage quit and restart from the last save. Even then it might take several restarts until a restart results in a weather taper down. It's just so frustrating the amount of detail devoted to the game/simulation and then have to deal with totally illogical weather patterns that span half the Pacific or more in effect resulting in once in a 1000 year earth storms constantly. Yes I'm running a weather mod patch for TMO but all it seems to do is make the bad weather seas more realistic. It doesn't seem to do a darn thing about maxed out wind duration.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 09-10-16 at 10:52 AM.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote