View Single Post
Old 09-07-16, 04:06 PM   #1881
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Love the historical difference in weaponry you plan. There was a reason that until the Bayern's came along that the Germans were ok with what seemed like gun inferiority to the unknowing eye. In fact it wasn't until the Queen Elizabeth-class IIRC that the British actually got an AP shell as good as the Germans. Also out of curiosity how much overlap between Troopships and liners will there be?
Yes; the German 11" and 12" guns turned out to be deadly against all classes of British battlecruiser, including the "Lion/Queen Mary" type. Although I agree with recent research that says the big problem with UK battlecruisers was poor ammunition handling procedures - not necessarily lack of armor. Bags of powder would tear and leave an explosive trail throughout the whole turret - just like in a "Loony Toons" cartoon with Wiley Coyote! The wrecks of "Queen Mary", etc show explosives packed in areas where they should not have been.

Also, the stabilizing chemical in British explosives was inferior (IIRC this was unchanged in 1941, and caused "Hood" to blow up). It's a wonder more British ships weren't lost at Jutland.

One thing I want is for surface gunnery duels to be very inconclusive and last longer...statistics from Jutland show that well under 10% of rounds fired were hits. In standard SH4, it is way too easy for AI ships to score hits with main armament. Ships blow up within 3-4 minutes in my tests, but I will be tinkering with S3ditor to fix that-

Troopships will pretty much be liner models with guns and some extra life rafts. They will be camoflaged and may have some soldiers visible on deck.

And yes; I agree it was suicidal for Drummond not to order "Hogue" and "Cressy" to escape. One officer pointed out at inquiry that he should have ordered the two other cruisers to sail at maximum speed for about 1 mile, have them launch their boats, and then leave the area (coastal destroyers could have picked up the lifeboats in several hours). Still, I sympathize with him wanting to save lives.

Hate to get you down but I don't want to promise a release date. It has been a multi-year project and it will be done when it's done.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote