View Single Post
Old 08-10-16, 06:20 PM   #1846
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
True. I don't think it is so much the speed, well it is a little, but the fact that you can generally guess which ship can take which amount of damage before it sinks i.e. one torpedo for the little ships, three for the big ones. More realistic damage would be better.
A lot of work has been done on this, mostly using my small merchantman.

-New cargoes have been created (iron ore, for example) - sinking rate will depend on what a ship carries. A large merchant carrying ore will sink fast, and a small ship carrying wood may take 2 or more torpedoes. Most ships will sink slowly, so you will have to be patient.

-Sinking ships by deck gun is more difficult. After reviewing historical accounts, I decided that anything over about 1500 tons will take a lot of 88mm or 105mm shells. 50mm and 37mm deck guns will produce very low damage. Machine gun fire will be useless except against aircraft or small boats.

-Fires spread more gradually. And in the final version, there will be no fire unless there is a flammable cargo or flammable ship parts - IMO, ships in the SH series burn way too often.

-Torpedoing the engine room will stop a ship - no more ships limping for hours with engine damage

-You can blow off a ship's bow or stern without destroying it (just like SH5). This was easy to do - and makes for intersting sinkings.

-Ships will generally have a much higher hp value, and will sink by flooding.

-No more sinking destroyers with the deck gun. That's just plain stupid....if a ship has a deck gun (especially a warship) you will NEED to make a submerged attack most of the time.

@Halsey - broken halves floating for longer? Very easy to do - I've done it before for SH3 ships. Plus, I can have the tip of the bow and stern as destructible objects!

-Sorry I have not been in touch but I'm sick! Nothing serious; more news when I'm feeling better this weekend.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote