Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 07-14-16, 05:04 PM   #697
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Have unilaterally decided what I am going to do

I remember RR telling somebody once (may have been Ducimus?), make the mod that you want to play

If others want to play it - that is a bonus
(I may be paraphrasing here)

Seeing as my mod is an optional extra, rather than part of the base core, I have decided to follow his wise advice

In Razzle Dazzle I had 6 skins per ship
I now really want to add the blue/grey as an extra, but to balance up the roster have decided to add another green dazzle
So we end up with 8 skins per ship

For example - the Big Troopship will now look like this

Civ skin - active from war start to the end of 1942

Plain neutral grey - active from war start to war end

Blue/grey - active from war start to war end

Grey dazzle 1 - active from June 42 to war end

Grey dazzle 2 - active from June 42 to war end

Plain green and buff - active from Jan 43 to war end

Green dazzle 1 - active from Jan 43 to war end

Green dazzle 2 - active from Jan 43 to war end

I reckon this gives us just the right probability of seeing differing skins as the war progresses

Up until June 1942 you have a 33% of seeing either the civ skin, the neutral grey, or the blue grey

From June 42 until Dec 42 you have a 20% chance of seeing either - Civ, Grey Neutral, Grey Blue, Grey Dazzle 1, Grey Dazzle 2

From Jan 43 you have a 1 in 7 chance of seeing - grey neutral, blue grey, grey dazzle 1, grey dazzle 2, plain green, green dazzle 1, green dazzle 2

I have no hard facts to back this up but it feels right to me

I know I said it last night - but I am going to repeat myself
Tonight was an absolute pleasure
Rather than force myself to load up textures - and give up after two skins - because I was struggling with software I hate - I put some Gillian Welch on the stereo, opened a few beers and just got on with it. It was very relaxing - more fun than I ever had doing the original Razzle Dazzle
I actually really enjoyed myself
Decent software makes such a difference

Final news for today - I will have a provisional partial release ready for the weekend - probably Saturday

It will only cover the Tankers, Troop Transports and replenishment ships.

But I figure - let's test this as we are going along - rather than wait until I have done the whole thing

Nothing major to look out for - but whilst making this I have seen a few ships in the museum appear with no texture at all!
Which is because I made typos in the roster files
I fixed the ones I saw - but there may be others

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon

Last edited by max-peck; 07-14-16 at 06:06 PM.
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote