View Single Post
Old 07-12-16, 09:54 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

You know I have to type the exerpts, take photos on my cell phone to get their stuff on Subsim. Somehow that's appropriate, because it is very special stuff and I really haven't scratched the surface.

This came from my wife's grandfather, Warren Watkins of the USS Kraken, one of the latter boats of the war. He came back with no confirmed kills, but a couple of real ones, nonetheless. His boat isn't in this publication but he took great pride in being a member of the US Submarine Veterans of World War II. I have a copy of Thunder Below with the autograph and personal inscription from Eugene Fluckey. They were family, these submariners. Every success was everyone's success. Every death was very, very personal.

They didn't believe that anyone outside their family could possibly understand their experiences. They were probably right, but it's priceless that their thoughts and deeds live on in this priceless set of volumes.

More to come!

Look at that quality embossing and gold leaf on the cover. These guys really cared about their "yearbook" and were prepared to pay for it. Again.

Photos courtesy of my LG G4 cell phone. Nothing Apple has is half as good.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-12-16 at 10:26 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote