View Single Post
Old 07-09-16, 09:48 AM   #593
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Speaking of testing......make sure you have the .05Alpha "Activated" into the stock game files before going to the Mission Editor to make new test missions. Your old missions (even with ships that are the same) will not work as intended without making a new test with the mod added. In my optical test missions, I had to "change out" my Porpoise sub with a new one, just to get the game to not CTD when I wanted to dive. Once I replaced the old FOTRS v1.3 Porpoise with the one from the .05Alpha (and the other ships as well) I was good.

AND, this could be a warning about making any mission for future use. Using the modded ships from whatever source we are using (meaning the mods we have "Activated") SHOULD produce a good mission in-game. Change the mod list, all bets are off when it comes to having the same mission work as expected. As an example, I always wondered about the stock "Submarine School" missions. Some of the content within them seemed to not work as expected when you played them. I forget what it was, but there seemed to be differences with how things worked (or didn't work) when playing them, compared to playing a Campaign game. It seemed the Sub School was made at a different time other than making it with the finished product.

It just might be good to wait on even my additions before making a test mission......my changes might make a difference too.
Thank you Captain for your excellent advice!

As I said before, my mission editor experience is below zero. I've never used it, but I have to. Want it or not. No option here. It's the only way for me to test all of the ships, how they react when taking damage, and balance them accordingly. Finding each and every one in the campaign is nearly impossible.

You are very correct about their behavior on different mods, a lesson I've (again) learned the hard way. Thank you for clearing this up for me.

I have two mods in the works, but I've promised myself NOT to touch the shells & torpedoes or to alter in any way the damage been inflicted. The Ship Acceleration Model makes changes to a ship's .SIM file in order to reduce their acceleration physics. The Ship Damage Model makes changes to a ship's .ZON file and ZONES.CFG to make them... "react" to inflicted damage.

Please, Captain, take your time and finish your excellent work. My mods can wait.

How's work on your depth changing camera?

Regards,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote