Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 06-13-16, 10:54 PM   #186
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Sometimes SH4 works in mysterious ways...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7
I think there is something to that. If you give some thought to when your positioning the ships of a convoy they are not locked in place but joined to a group leader. Supposedly the ships are supposed to follow the group leader's motions but there seems to be a lot randomness to the movement of the other ships not matter what you do.
The difference between the "Gaggle to Haggle With" .mis, and the "Stock Convoy" .mis seems to be the fact there is a "Unit Leader" for the "Gaggle" mission. There is not a "Unit Leader" defined in the "Stock Convoy" mission.

Besides Double R's video, I took the time to make some comparison images of the two stock game behaviors. Here's the "Gaggle" stock game ships, and their actions:

As you can see, a little over half hour after first contacting the convoy their so hopelessly lost there's no way they will get back together. No detection of my sub has been made. The ships are just running wild all over the screen!

The following is the "Stock Convoy" mission:

The above image is showing about how much the convoy gets out of line during the monitoring.....pretty boring stuff.

Half hour later their back in line:

A couple of hours later, their feeling their oats again:

In less than 10 minutes their back in line.....following the expectations we have for them.

Is the "Unit Leader" designation a problem for a "Random Group" of ships in a convoy. Could be, since this is about the only idea I have when comparing the differences between the two mission files.

Why is this important you may ask?

Having a good stock ship mission is critical in knowing what to expect from the stock game. How else will you know when a ship is acting normal or abnormal due to a modification you may be testing if you don't know what reactions the stock game will have during normal game play?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote