View Single Post
Old 06-09-16, 10:24 AM   #800
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Yes, Windows 10 has been far from a finished OS.

Yesterday I was minding my own business when one of my tenants, an accountant, stepped in my office. "My secretary is at lunch and I see her machine doing something very strange. Could you check it out?"

When I got to it, the computer had this really lousy looking monochrome crippled Windows symbol on it and said it was downloading Windows 10. I said "Her computer is upgrading to Windows 10."

Now you have to keep in mind that upgrading to Windows 10 for an accountant, lawyer or medical office most often is the same as closing the business. Single business software is generally very intolerant to "upgrades." Software for my storage business failed on a routine update of Windows XP and I had to run on a January 2012 version of XP in a Virtualbox until I spent $3000 on new software.

So, since the screen said "downloading" and not installing I used the Mac Truck of PC maintenance by holding the power button down for 5 seconds. The machine shut off. What happens when it comes back on?

I switched it back on, and after an unusually long boot a text box came up saying the machine was reverting to Windows 7. When it was fully restored (and the restoration process didn't destroy the system either! No losses as far as we could determine), Windows update came up with a dialog box.

"Due to unknown circumstances Windows 10 was unable to install." Just like the new update screen it had an update now button. There was no alternative but the "x" in the upper right corner. As of Tuesday before last, that "x" doesn't mean close the dialog box any more.

With no announcement or notification given that x now means "Sock it to me! I NEED Windows 10 NOW!" So don't even think about using it. I was able to use the task manager to shut down the dialog box, but first I just left it there while I installed GWX Control Panel on that and his other computers in the office. THEN I shut down the Windows Update process with the task manager.

Microsoft no longer considers your well being worthy of their concern. They have sharply rounded the bend from serving customers to preying upon them. Microsoft richly deserves to die. Customers deserved to be served, and not as dinner to sharks.

At least I found that the computer can be shut down during the upgrade process, so long as it is still in the download phase, and the computer will revert to Windows 7. The reassignment of the upper-right X shows that your well being is of no concern to Microsoft. They are quite happy to put you out of business at their whim while violating your rights as a computer owner.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote