View Single Post
Old 05-08-16, 09:14 AM   #5119
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

U 123, the new type IXB, Patrol 6, started April 24th 1940. Today is May 13th, about 4.40 in the morning. Current location Strait of Gibraltar.

Just done reloading the tubes and getting the last torpedos from external to internal stores. 2 British armed trawlers passing at 1200 meters while the operation went on. Went decks awash until they passed.

So far it hasn't been all eventful. Was lucky in the Channel with rotten weather allowing me to cruise the surface only doing the occational listening for warships. Weather cleared up with 8 m/s wind as I cleared the Channel, allowing me to use the guns on the few merchants I encountered. Out of deck gun ammo and running low on machine gun ammo. Shells for the 3.7 still plentyful but so far it hasn't impressed in effectiveness.

11 merchants down and 10 torpedos left. The last 2, both French medium C2 cargo ships caught in the strait, drove me to shout in fury. Both took 3 torpedos. One kept 2 knots for 2 hours before the 3rd torpedo stopped her. Another hour went before she went. What is it with these French and their ships? Are they transporting helium? If they could make their destroyers the same way then they would have won the war by September the 4th, 1939.

Weather right now is dead calm, light clouds and medium visibility. The prolonged attacks on the French ships has delayed my planned approach to the port of Gibraltar. Next attempt this evening. The enemy has only been sending armed trawlers to investigate. They are of little concern. Mine fields are a concern though. I might need to go in during the day to plot down any obstacle.

Time is 9.26
Daylight and I just spotted 2 Southampton with 2 destroyers, and the big gold nugget, it's either Nelson or Rodney, too early to tell yet but I am maneuvering in for a shot at her magazine. It will be a tight one, land not too far off where I need to be. Plan on electric at 3500 meters, hopefully I get a few meters more. Then off to see if I can get those cruisers.

Nelson the hotheaded. Took 2. Look closely under the A turret. I forgot to link up the TDC and was 0.5 degrees off... 2nd hit bullseye.

About 45 minutes later

Each took 2. I need to reload the last 4 torpedos now so it's time to hit open water. Well worth the 6 torpedos.

Going in at daytime is going to push my oxygen supply and batteries. CO2 at 1.6 and charge at 4300A and about 10-12 hours before I consider it safe to surface, but I sure as helvetia wasn't going to let those off the hook.

The allies are getting up to speed now. When I enteredthe Mediterranian,all I saw was armed trawlers and MTBs. Leaving after the Gibraltar visit, suddenly there were corvettes and a Hunt I patrolling the strait. Cleared the Strait with 3 torpedos left and encountered 2 French ships west of the Strait. A passenger/cargo and a small merchant. The passenger ship was in lead and with a greater top speed I let it have one set at 3.5 meters in the engine room, to little effect. It kept more than 6 knots and showed no sign of slowing down. Attempts were made using the 3.7 on the small mechant but that gun is a goner if I have a saying. It is as useful on a submarine as a Ferris wheel, at least for sinking smaller ships. Out of machine gun ammo and deck gun ammo, I estimated their speed now that they were zigging, and set up for a short range shot at both. Aimed at the passenger, at the engine again, magnetic pistol and hit near the bow. Aimed at the small merchant closer to stern and hit something big because it blew up immediately. The passenger ship slowed down and eventually drove itself down.

Out of torpedos and gun ammo, I set course for the Channel and base. That place has gotten a bit crowded since I sailed through there some weeks ago. MTBs everywhere, single and formations but managed to dodge them, thanks to darkness and poor weather.

Eventually made it back to Wilhelmshaven.

The Netherlands have surrendered. It's only a matter of time before the army secures the French ports so we can have easy access to the Atlantic. I won't miss the Channel.

Last edited by Von Due; 05-08-16 at 06:33 PM.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote