Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

24th April 1916

Aviation

Aeroplane raid on Dover, no damage.

Naval

German submarine SM UB-13 sinks off the mouth of the Thames. All 17 members of the crew are killed.

Political, etc.

King George and Czar Nicholas exchange Easter messages and affirm confidence in eventual victory.

Rebellion in Ireland; Sinn Feiners seize Dublin Post Office. Serious fighting in Dublin.

Irish rebels attempt to seize Dublin Castle, killing the police sentry (possibly the first death of the rising), but fail to take it.

Fianna Éireann members raid the Magazine Fort, disarming & shooting the guards. They attempt to blow up the fort’s ordinance, but fail.

Ship Losses:

HMT Clover Bank (Royal Navy) The naval trawler was lost on this date.
Hsin-Yu (National Revolutionary Army) The transport ship collided with Hai Yung ( Republic of China Navy) in the East China Sea south of the Chusan Islands and sank. There were only 30 survivors of over 1,000 people on board.
HMT King Stephen (Royal Navy) The naval trawler, operating as a Q-ship, was sunk in the North Sea off Lowestoft, Suffolk by a Kaiserliche Marine destroyer. Her crew were taken as prisoners of war.
SM UB-13 (Kaiserliche Marine) The Type UB I submarine was lost in action off the mouth of the River Thames with the loss of all seventeen crew.
Maashaven (Netherlands) The steamer was damaged when it hit a mine about 3 miles N of Galloper Buoy 51°49'30"N 1°57'30"E. Beached 1,5 miles SxW of the Beach End Buoy. Refloated May 5.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote