View Single Post
Old 04-20-16, 09:27 AM   #1478
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

20th April 1916

Western Front

Battle of Verdun: French regain ground near Mort Homme and south of Douaumont.

Russian troops arrive at Marseilles.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

Russians take Turkish positions in Bitlis region.

Naval and Overseas Operations

Disguised German warship "Aud" sunk while trying to land arms on Irish coast. Germany attempts to smuggle 20,000 rifles, 10 machine guns, and 1 million rounds of ammunition to Ireland via the SS Libau. However, the SS Libau is trapped by British blockade ships, and the German crew scuttles the ship.

Food situation for the besieged British troops at Kut becomes critical. Civilians in the town are forced to leave.

Political, etc.

British government publishes details of a German plot to invade Canada by recruiting German reservists in the United States.

New Volunteer regulations issued.

Manpower proposals to be submitted to secret session of both Houses.

Sir Roger Casement lands in Ireland and is arrested.

Ship Losses:

Cairngowan (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 55 nautical miles (102 km) west by north of the Fastnet Rock by SM U-69 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
SS Libau (Kaiserliche Marine) Easter Rising: The freighter, masquerading as Aud ( Norway), was scuttled off Fenit, County Kerry, Ireland.
Lodewijk Van Nassau (Netherlands) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 1 (Kurt Ramien) and sank in the North Sea off the Galloper Lightship ( United Kingdom) (51°50′N 1°55′E).
Sabbia (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by U 74 (Erwin Weisbach) and sank in the North Sea 7 nautical miles (13 km) off the Isle of May, Fife (56°07′N 2°18′W). Her crew were rescued by Nordland ( Netherlands).
Whitgift (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean south west of Ouessant, Finistère, France (47°51′N 6°10′W) by SM U-67 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of 32 crew.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote