View Single Post
Old 04-01-16, 05:58 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Regarding Virtual Drive, do you also need the key code for installing XP or is the disk sufficient? (I think I have a couple of them)
Yes, although you can install from any Windows XP installation disk you need a key code for that version. You could easily obtain one by finding someone tossing a Windows XP computer, pay him $10 for the piece of junk.

Then install that version of Windows XP into the VirtualBox client, using the keycode you bought from that person. Retire his machine. Then you're totally legal and above board. You'll have to activate it over the telephone, which is an entirely automated procedure that takes just a couple of minutes and then you're off to the races. As long as his machine runs, you can get the key code even if he has lost it. Download and run Belarc Advisor, which gives you a complete printout of all the software and operating system on your machine with the key codes for all!

One fabulous advantage of going the VirtualBox route is that you can set up a single-purpose machine, which is used only to run Silent Hunter 3. Or Silent Hunter 4. I'd just shut off the virtual machine's access to the Internet after you're totally updated. There will be no further XP updates anyway.

And since DragonRider busted me in the other thread and exposed the fact I must disclose that I don't know anything about computers and only parrot what I read from the back of milk cartons during my job working graveyard shift at the 7-11. Sometimes I ignorantly send links to websites I accidentally stumble into but they are the limit of my knowledge. Actually I don't even read them before I post the link into the thread.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 04-01-16 at 06:18 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote