Old 03-14-16, 11:17 AM   #6
siege00
Officer

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfNothing22 View Post
Very informative and helpful answers, thanks to both

It's reassuring to know I was pretty close charting it with the protractor!

Using (180 - (AoB + Bearing)) suddenly makes a lot of sense after reading that So if the AoB is to port, which puts them heading right to left, you subtract it from your true heading - what would you do for a starboard AoB? I'm still not 100% sure on how you'd work that out.
Glad to help. If he's moving left to right then you would add the result, instead of subtract it, to ownship course. Keep in mind that you've got to measure the angles that are inside of the triangle though.

Example: You are traveling true heading 020°. You have a contact that is at relative bearing 300° with an AoB of 70° to STB. The equation would be 180-(70+60) = 50. 70 from the AoB, and 60 from the bearing (300 would be the angle outside of the triangle, 60 would be the angle inside (360-300). Your course + 50° or 20° + 50° = 70° target course. So for bearing you need the degrees from your bow using the shortest path (60° to port points to the target).

Does that make sense? Hell I think I confused myself while re-reading it. It's a lot easier to illustrate.

Currently - SH5 TWoS
- SH3 GWX + MaGui and more
- SH3 LSH 2015 + Ahnenerbe's Gui
siege00 is offline   Reply With Quote